Sunday, March 14, 2010

Growing a pomegranate indoors?

Ok, I'm rather new to gardening, but my mom is an experience botanist and gardener so she is helping me out. I would like to grow a pomegranate indoors now and I have 2 questions.





Where do I get the seeds? Can I use them out of the fruit or do I have to prepare them some way?





what kind of sun and watering do they require?





Thanks a bunch

Growing a pomegranate indoors?
You can get them out of the fruit and they will germinate pretty quickly (this is how i raised my tree, which now lives in a tub in my greenhouse). However, ordinary pomegranate trees get quite big (too big for indoors) and while they may flower indoors after some years they will never set fruit. a better idea is to get hold of some seeds of the pomegranate variety "nana" which is a dwarf version of the big pomegranate complete with miniature flowers and fruits. this is much better for indoors and will not grow larger than 4-5 feet.





pomegranates need warm, dry conditions and will withstand drought quite well (although they do need some water). they are also excellent for container growing and so make good tub plants outdoors or indoors. ideally they need fairly full sun in summer (stand the plant outdoors if possible) and cool, dry conditions in winter during which time they will drop their leaves. seed germination only takes about 10 days or so and they are fairly quick growing: pinch out the growing tips to make the plant bushier.



dry skin care

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


pomegranate © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting